Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Top 5 Hip Hop Albums of 2009....or maybe like 8?

Happy Holidays...Overall a pretty good year for hip hop I must say..with just these albums right here...These choices were tough so I opened it up a little bit... lets start with..

Sleeper:
Photobucket
Havoc- From Now On
(I didn't know this was a mixtape...it plays like an album..well to me..its an album..if this is a mixtape...imagine how the album will sound)
Alot of people probably didn't know that Havoc of Mobb Deep dropped an album earlier this year. Easily making it a sleeper... Havoc delivered on this album... We all know Havoc is a master producer and he continues to master beats. Havo said it "Smell like 9/5" in here..thats a good thing right?!?? Lloyd banks delivers a mean verse on "Bang Bang".. Damn I wish "Fly With Me" was longer!! only 1:20....when u hear you'll know why i said that..On "Always Have a Choice" Havoc goes in musically and lyrically, one of favorite songs of the year...Tough...."Letters to P", Havoc's letter to Prodigy (the other half of Mobb Deep) who is currently serving time...A soulful sample that you all will feel.. Prodigy is featured on "Keep on Talking"...The Bonus Tracks make this album tho.. "24k Rap" featuring Raekwon, i can't even think of words to call this right now...Its sick..and then "Evil Deeds featuring RZA and Ghostface Killah, you can tell that RZA lends a hand on the production tip...This is what hip hop is right here...I easily played this song everyday for weeks at a time...
Havoc is better with Prodigy but he can hold his own..Worthing Listening To...
Fav Songs: Always Have a Choice & Evil Deeds


Honorable Mention:
Photobucket
Kid Cudi- Man on the Moon: The End of Day
I really really like this album... Cudi says what he needs to on this album...opening up how Kanye has to us recently. "In My Dreams" a real welcome to the album, a favorite song of mine..u may think cudi sound like common tho..don't be confused..Kid Cudi has a few 5 star songs on here..you'll see for yourself or you already know... I feel like this is a mood album...you have to be in a certain mood to listen to this album...regardless of the mood, its good music.
Fav Songs: Solo Dolo (Nightmare), Heart of a Lion (KiD CuDi Theme Song) & My World


Photobucket
Snoop- Malice N Wonderland
Just in time for Christmas Uncle Snoop gave us something to bump to. This has been my favorite snoop album in a while...Snoop always gives us something but not as much as on here. A truly veteran to this game...Snoop opens up with "I Wanna Rock" this is the way to open up! Take Note....everybody borrowed this beat from Styles P to Joel Ortiz to Lloyd Banks...Now be playing a Steeler home games... U gotta fuck with it! Everybody fucks with Snoop.. cmon! Why haven't you heard this yet?! The Dream is featured to 2 songs and Soulja Boy as well as Jasmine Sullivan are on here. As well as some Big names..The end of the album gives us some R&B...that your sure to love... Its still Kwanzaa you can buy this for someone..
Fav Songs: I Wanna Rock, Luv Drunk feat. The Dream & Special featuring Brandy and Pharrell


Photobucket
Fabolous- Loso's Way
Fab comes with it, witty with the words as always but with more confidence and experience that a seasoned artist would have, who is now what Fabolous is. If fab would have dropped this album last year, he would have been most definitely included on the top 5 list. But this wasn’t an off year for hip-hop, this was a very good year for hip hop if you realize it or not. Just look at the top 5 list. Fab usually always has the ability to make everyone song on his album a single and that is the case on Loso’s Way too. Fab closes out this album the same way Nas did with "I Am", with a vivid story of a relationship turned very bad, painted on a beat thats hypnotizing. I have alot of favorites on this album.. its hard to choose.
Fav Songs: I Miss My Love, Lullaby & Last Time feat. Trey Songz


Now to The List...This is my list and I CAN DO WHAT I WANT..So Guess what??
I have 3 Albums at Number 5...Problem?!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Didn't think so...here we go

5.
Photobucket
Rick Ross- Deeper Than Rap
The "Baws" said never mind the beef with 50 and spoke with music. Deeper Than Rap surprised me, I knew that Rick would have some good production and made some good songs...But I honestly didn't expect this! And I liked it... I really liked it..Most of the spring and early summer I was playing this.. "Maybach Music 2" should be up for a grammy for real. We never hear songs like that anymore. "Magnificent" was one of the theme songs of my Spring Break trip to Jamaica earlier this year...On "Valley of Death", Ross says "The Meek shall inherit the earth, thats what the bible say." If that is the case..This world is mine and this album would be a soundtrack during my reign. Don't sleep on this album
Fav Songs: Usual Suspects feat. Nas, Rich Off Cocaine, Valley of Death, Cigar Music


Photobucket
Jadakiss- The Last Kiss
Playoffs!!! Lol...if you heard the album you know what im talkin about or if your football fan you know..Jada give us "Pain & Torture" to open up and tell us "Can't Stop Me". Jadakiss comes with it on this album for real. "One for Step" is a non stop back and forth with Jada and Styles..one of the best songs on here. Jada and Nas had you wondering about everything on "What If". I really like this album and I enjoy listening to it. "Rockin With The Best" sounds like a night party on yacht with martinis or a sunny saturday cruise in BMW with the top down. I like this album better than Kiss of Death. You should have heard this by now! If you haven't cmonson!
Fav Song: Rockin With The Best, What If feat. Nas, Can't Stop, Things I've Been Through


Photobucket
The Clipse- Until The Casket Drops
For real For real I already made the list before this album came out. But I HAD to make room for it! I HAD TO! This album is hard as fuck! "Freedom" is one of the hardest opening songs I've heard in a while! "Popular Demand" is the most lyrical single of the year! "I'm Good" is one of my feel good songs of the year! After seeing these dudes are yardfest this year perform some of these songs I like those songs even more now. Who came up with "Door Man"? Genius!! "Champion" is my victory song and my good morning song!! This is an album you want play!
Fav Songs: Freedom, I'm Good, Door Man, Champion

4.
Photobucket
Raekwon- Only Built For Cuban Linx 2
I've been waiting on this album for years!! This album could have easily been Number 3 on this list! Just like the first Ghostface Killah is featured on this album heavily! But theres nothing wrong with that! . Soulful production, which still has the east coast & wu tang signature. Features are the best songs most of the album. In my opinion the best songs are both under 2 minutes and 20 seconds…why? Lets stretch those out! If one of those number 5s had to stay I'd say this one...This album does have a dull point but the high points are High! Chef spits it!!!
Fav Songs: Pyrex Vision, Surgical Gloves, Cold Outside, Fat Lady Sings


3.
Photobucket
Mos Def- The Ecstatic
No one was more excited to find out that Mos Def was dropping an album more than me!! I bought this album the first day it came out...The only album I can say that for for this whole year. Most of yall probably didn't even know Mos Def dropped something this year. Well shame on you! Real shame on you! Cuz this album is ill!! Mad Lib takes us back to the 19th century or earlier on "Auditorium" and thanks to a clever 16 by Slick Rick The Ruler..this is one of the best songs on the album. Mighty Mos goes bilingual on "No Hay Nada Mas" singing the entire song in spanish..you'll love it then tho you might not understand the song. More enjoyable then "True Magic" i'm so happy that Mos Def finally dropped something. We'll prolly never get just a rap album from Mos but I'm not complaining! You just gotta appreciate what hes bringing. This album could have easily been number 2. Talib Kweli drops the meanest guest verse of the year on "History", disagree? Take a listen!! Casa Bey is simple beautiful! Mos shows us why he is and still one of the best with this project.
Fav Songs: Roses, Priority, Worker's Comp, Casa Bey, History feat. Talib Kweli




2.
Photobucket
Jay- Z- The Blueprint 3
Flawless album? Could Be...
Jay showed us he could still do it..many ppl questioned him after Kingdom Come & American Gangster...But if you don't think Jay came with it on this one then your either a Jay hater...or your not a fan of hip-hop...Everybody has a favorite song on here. I have a couple. The opening track got me.. featuring Luke Steele of Empire of the Sun (a group I discovered this year and am a big fan of now!) Jay's not santa clause ppl! Hes not!!! This jam sounds like the song to play when you just landed in another country. Walking through the airport and you can't read any of the signs. There is no track skipping on this album...Its not aloud! Or not suggested. This album could have easily been Number 1. The rumored and anticipated BP3 did not disappoint. This album has some of the best production (of course, its Jay) It also features a roster of what many would call the up and comers in Hip Hop (Drake, J. Cole & Kid Cudi) as well as seasoned vets (Yeezy, Jeezy and Pharrell). There isn't much more to say about it. The Blueprint 3 is The Blueprint 3..Better than the second...Just as much as a statement as the First.
Fav Songs: What We Talkin' About, On To The Next One, So Ambitious & Already Home


1.
Photobucket
Wale- Attention Deficit
The Most Impactful Debut Album since 50 Cent- Get Rich or Die Trying and Kanye West- College Dropout. Attention Deficit embodies what growth is all about. Touching more subjects than an album on this list. The Go-Go inspired "Pretty Girls" features "everybodies" favorite rapper Gucci Mane which results in a song everybody could like..including me. Wale speaks to everybody on here. We all have something that we felt. For me..it was "Shades" finally someone speaks on how it is to be dark skinned and i felt every second of the song, over a beat crafted to the vibe of the album. You gotta love it! Maybe "Diary" was something you could feel more...or "Contemplate" i know i could... you could play this while zoning out or at a strip club (heard before) This album fits anywhere and everywhere. Production on this albums sports no big name but resounds Quality on every track! Every track on here has soul..a feeling... you gotta feel it. People slept and continue to on Wale, what for I dunno. Cause of where he is from or cause of his flow..regardless stop doing what your doing and Peep this album. Its beyond worth it. Just "Prescription" alone is worth 9.99 at the Fye or on iTunes. Attention Deficit is both poetic and powerful and theres nothing better than that!
Fav Songs: Prescription, Shades featuring Chrisette Michelle, Beautiful Bliss featuring J. Cole & Melanie Fiona & Contemplate featuring Rhianna



This was a great year for hip-hop to say the least because there were other releases this year that should have and could have been on this list.

No comments: